Stock N  Go

Monday 28 November 2011

Do doctors really know what they're talking about?

Hi. This is the first time I've ever written a blog. I seem to be in and out of the hospital constantly and every time I go I see the same familiar faces which I assume means that they have a reason to be there as well. I'm on 16 tablets a day. Do you ever wonder what's actually in the tablets and if you actually need them? How many times does a doctor prescribe something without actually knowing if it'll make a difference? I can't count the amount of times even as a child I went to the doctors with a migraine, a bug, or something else wrong with me and was prescribed antibiotics and what did it do? Nothing! Or the amount of times I've went to the doctors because of being sick or having really bad stomach pains and all that's happened is he's took one look at me had a feel about and told me I have a virus. I'm sorry but I thought it was computers that got virus's! A doctor should be someone you can trust, someone that should be able to make you better. I got a phone call last week from my doctors to tell me they had cancelled my operation for this Tuesday. What operation? It would have been helpful if they had phoned to tell me my operation had been scheduled in the first place! The thing is I have a rare type of blood cancer called Essential or Primary thrombocythemia and I will have it for the rest of what I hope is a long life. It's a mutation in my bone marrow that produces more platelet cells in my blood than the average person. Which means I'm more at risk of getting a blood clot, taking a heart attack, taking a stroke, and bleeding to death than most people. I'm taking one aspirin a day to thin my blood to stop any of that from happening, which it shouldn't as long as I take the aspirin. I also have Gordon's Syndrome which is "the opposite of diabetes." Seriously! That's all they could tell me about it when they told me they thought I had it. What the hell does the opposite of diabetes mean? I didn't have a clue. Finally when they diagnosed me with it they explained that a small part of my kidneys doesn't function properly, which isn't serious it just doesn't filter my potassium levels properly so I have a tablet for that too. It also was the cause of my jaw starting to move. I developed a really bad overbite as a result of this and had an operation a year ago to correct it. My jaw was broken and moved 5 inches and believe me it was not pretty at all. It took forever to heal and is still numb in parts but after finding out everything else that was wrong with me the metal plates securing my jaw together have started to come out. Yes I have metal plates sticking out my gums, does that sound nice to you? Because believe me it isn't! So that's the operation I've to go in to get that's not been re-scheduled yet but has been cancelled. I dare you to make sense of that! The funniest thing, because if you can't see the humor in life really what's the point, is that the operation was scheduled and the anesthetist refused because my platelet count was too high. The aspirin I'm taking thins my blood but doesn't affect my platelet count at all! To affect my platelet count and make it lower they would have to give me interferon which is a chemo based injection which they don't want to give me because it's expensive and has bad side effects. First of all why would you possibly give it to someone if it has bad side effects that you knew of? And secondly how can they possibly then have cancelled the operation that they never notified me of knowing all of this? It really does baffle me! Not to mention the intense phobia I have of needles! Having these kinds of things wrong with you is not good for someone like me! I had to get gassed before they gave me an anesthetic to do my operation the first time around. Now I have to get all sorts of blood tests done on a weekly basis and need to get a bone marrow biopsy done every year. The first was enough to put me off for life! They told me that what I have can cause anemia because when I bleed I lose more blood than an average person. So what do they do to find out if I have anemia? Yes you guessed it they do a blood test? They take blood to find out if I don't have enough blood in my system. Do you see any sense in that whatsoever or is just me that doesn't? I can't fault all doctors, don't get me wrong, there is some doctors out there that do help!  I just seem to get the one's that are maybe a little bit more preoccupied with there own lives. 6 months ago I ended up in hospital because a blood test showed up that I had too much potassium. I had to go straight down to the accident and emergency, which I did, and was met by a doctor who told me if he didn't inject me with insulin my heart would fail and I would die. So naturally I let him inject the stuff into me. It was uncomfortable and painful. I had mentioned to the doctor on several occasions before he injected the stuff into me that I was supposed to have an operation that morning that had been cancelled and I had been fasting from the night before. I had literally just got to the outside of Morrisons ready to go in for a breakfast when the hospital had called. He had laughed along with me and said it wouldn't be long and then I could leave. Imagine my shock when a few minutes later after all the insulin was in my system the room started spinning and I dropped to the ground taking a hypo. When I opened my eyes I could make out 6 people above me holding me down while I moved out of control around the hospital bed. I had no idea what was happening until one of the nurses told me I was about to go into a coma unless they injected me with a line of sugar. I was drinking glucose drinks and eating glucose tablets and eventually I got back to normal. How are we expected to trust doctors when they make mistakes like that? It amazes me on a daily basis how many times they must do something wrong and yet nothing ever happens!  

2 comments:

  1. Gee, you know how to have a good time! I'm so sorry that you've had some bad experiences with the medical profession - but you're right, we are human and we do make mistakes, but I think probably the biggest mistakes are in the area of effective communication with patients. Remember that it is YOUR body and you dont want anyone to "mess" with it, so don't let anything happen unless you fully understand: and if they cant explain, then ask their Boss to come in an explain it to you!!
    As for Warfarin: it's a special anti-coagulant used for conditons such as Pulmonary Embolus and for a heart condition known as Atrial Fibrillation. Because it can be a very "tricky" medication, new drugs are being develped that will hopefully replace warfin in the not too distant future.
    Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol I sure do. If you can believe it I had only been to the doctors once in the past six years before my operation last year, now I practically live there. I guess that's completely fair, I do just accept medication as a basic law even if I don't understand why I'm being prescribed it or what it does! Thanks for explaining that, I was just wondering about it as I had never heard of it before.

    ReplyDelete